22. So This Is Where I Live / Hier bin ich also zuhause.


Opening the door to my flat was strange. A two hour ride in Martha's car had given me time to feel myself, to prepare. I pushed all thought about not being able to carry on in my daily life from my mind and concentrated on the scenery.

And now here I was, entering my four walls, and I smelt ... decay. It was overpowering and it lasted only for a moment. Martha did not smell anything and she is the one with fine nose in the family. Also, she had been in the flat several times, watering the plants, airing the rooms. I do not know what caught my attention there. And I experienced no encore. Maybe there was still a whiff of the event lingering in the air, of the evening where they had to carry me out of the flat on a stretcher.

I sat down on the sofa, looking around. Then I began to unpack as if the was the most important thing to do. And so I came home.


Es war seltsam, die Türe zu meiner Wohnung zu öffnen. Eine zweistündige Fahrt in Martha's Auto hatte mir die Möglichkeit gegeben, mich zu fühlen, mich vorzubereiten. Ich schob alle Gedanken darüber, dass ich im Alltag nicht weitermachen konnte, von mir und konzentrierte mich auf die Landschaft.

Und hier war ich also, betrat meine vier Wände und ich roch ... Verfall. Es war überwältigend und dauerte nur einen Moment lang. Martha roch nichts, und sie ist eigentlich diejenige mit der feinen Nase in der Familie. Ausserdem war sie mehrere Male in der Wohnung gewesen, um die Pflanzen zu wässern und die Räume zu lüften. Ich weiss nicht, was da meine Aufmerksamkeit erregte. Es gab auch keine Wiederholung. Vielleicht lag da noch ein Geruch in der Luft vom Ereignis, vom Abend, an dem sie mich auf einer Bahre aus der Wohnung tragen mussten.

Ich setzte mich aufs Sofa und schaute mich um. Dann begann ich auszupacken, als wäre das die wichtigste aller Tätigkeiten. Und so kam ich nach Hause.

No comments: